Monday 6 May 2013

----Yes, sir.

----And where did you break your glasses?

----On the cinderpath, sir. A fellow was coming out of the bicycle house and I fell and the got broken. I don't know the fellow's name.

The rector looked at him again in silence. Then he smiled and said:

----O, well, it was a mistake; I am sure Father Dolan did not know.

----But I told him I broke them, sir, and he pandied me.

----Did you tell him that you had written home for a new pair? the rector asked.

----No, sir.

----O well then, said the rector, Father Dolan did not understand. You can say that I excuse you from your lessons for a few days.

Stephen said quickly for fear his trembling would prevent him:

----Yes, sir, but Father Dolan said he will come in tomorrow to pandy me again for it.

----Very well, the rector said, it is a mistake and I shall speak to Father Dolan myself. Will that do now?

Stephen felt the tears wetting his eyes and murmured:

----O yes sir, thanks.

The rector held his hand across the side of the desk where the skull was and Stephen, placing his hand in it for a moment, felt a cool moist palm.

----Good day now, said the rector, withdrawing his hand and bowing.

----Good day, sir, said Stephen.

He bowed and walked quietly out of the room, closing the doors carefully and slowly.

But when he had passed the old servant on the landing and was again in the low narrow dark corridor he began to walk faster and faster. Faster and faster he hurried on

No comments:

Post a Comment